Tuesday, June 19, 2018

3DO FZ-10 Rescue

The 3DO isn't a great platform.  It's also not a particularly bad one either.  I've only ever met one person who professed nostalgia for it (specifically the game "Twisted").  There aren't really any "killer app" games for it.  Supposedly its version of Need For Speed is superior to the Playstation version in some way (I never bothered investigating the rumor).  There are a handful of interesting games.  Star Control II, a couple of Wing Commander titles, "D", etc... Regardless it's still a great piece of gaming history and represents an alternate view of the way things may have gone.  Comparing it to the other consoles of its time, the best way I can sum it up is to say that the 3DO iterated where the Playstation and Saturn innovated.  Like the Atari Jaguar, the 3DO was more of an extension of the 16-bit arc rather than the start of a new 32-bit trajectory.

I'm in the process of getting ODE's for all of the platforms I can, and this was next on my list.  Optical Drive Emulators (ODE's) are all the rage in the retro gaming community right now.  Think of them like flash carts for your disc based systems.  The ODE either replaces or bypasses the spinning disc drive and loads games directly from solid state media like SD cards or USB drives.

Attached to every review of an ODE is usually a sage treatise on the limited lifespan of optical drives and how they're getting rarer and rarer.  These drives have moving parts and that means friction which means wear, so logically they will eventually break down, but I think the notion that all optical drives are going to suddenly die enmasse in the next 20 years is just amateurish prognostication and sensationalist tripe.  I love these things because I can have the entire library (or at least large chunks of it) on a console at once. That's pretty much it.  I'm not worried about drives dying.

Someone going by MNEMO from Russia makes and sells a 3DO USB Host Controller.  The prices vary wildly, with one of the cheaper being the version for the FZ-10.  I once passed up an opportunity to buy an FZ-10 for about $50 when Best Buy was liquidating them. _Facepalm_  At the time I already had an FZ-1, and my impression of the FZ-10 was not good - if they reduced costs by replacing the tray loader with a lid mechanism, it seemed likely they cut corners in other aspects as well and to my mind, cheaper meant less reliable. The reality seems to have turned out the opposite as the FZ-10 is now pricier than the FZ-1 on Ebay.

What I needed was a cheap FZ-10, so I watched Ebay for broken "for parts or repair", and eventually this one popped up:

The only thing the seller reported wrong with it was the missing lid latch, but of course it "wasn't tested with any discs".  I asked the seller if the machine displayed an image when plugged into a TV and turned on.  He sent me a photo of the startup screen displaying, so we haggled on price and I got a pretty decent deal (about 1/3 of the going price of one in working condition).  I figured if the drive was toast, the console would probably still work just fine with the ODE.  The visible dirt on the outside of the console was a little worrisome, but I thought "how bad could it really be?"...

When the machine arrived the first thing I did was try to turn the spindle motor by hand.  It barely turned and felt like it was grinding - probably a lost cause.   Next I opened the case up and took a look inside.  I found a couple of splashes of mud on the PCB, the lid switch was stuck, and the CD drive mechanism was stuffed full of fuzz, hair and what looked like dessicated insect parts.  I removed the CD drive mechanism, and detached the spindle motor.  After giving it a good brushing with a toothbrush, I gave it a shot of silicone lubricant on the spindle shaft and after a turn or two, it spun freely.  After looking closely at the spindle, there's some kind of tension spring pressing against the shaft and I *think* that's what was gunked up.  So with the motor turning freely I thought I might have a chance of getting it working - as long the motor hadn't been burned out when it was seized up.

Next I disassembled the rest of the CD drive mechanism, cleaned each part with a toothbrush and naptha to clear away all of the grit and fuzz.  I also used soap and water on the plastic bits.  I carefully cleaned all of the existing grease from the laser transport rails, the laser and the gear teeth using a toothbrush and q-tips, then replaced it with a fresh application of lithium grease.  Once reassembled, I made sure to turn the grooved shaft that moves the laser mechanism by hand putting it all the way through it's range of travel, and sure enough it hung up part-way through because I had missed some grit in the groove, so I took it apart again, and used a stiff piece of paper to completely clean the groove, re-lubed everything and reassembled it.  This time it went all the way through its range of travel without getting caught.

Once the CD drive was back together, I gave all of the ribbon sockets a shot of Deoxit.  I also gave the lid switch a shot of it and moved it until it stopped sticking.  I took a lint-free swab and carefully cleaned the laser lens with 91% isopropyl. With the drive plugged back in, I plugged the 3DO into my monitor, popped a game disc in, turned it on, and to my utter surprise the CD drive came to life and loaded a game without a hitch!  I listened carefully for grinding noises or any other signs or damage or remaining grit in the mechanism, but if anything it sounded quieter and smoother than my FZ-1.  Let's see a first or second generation PS1 do that!

So at this point I had a fully working console, but what I could see of the motherboard was filthy.  I've seen "dirty" consoles before, but never one with actual dirt in it.  I say "what I could see" because about 2/3 of the motherboard is covered by a large thick RF shield.  Based on what I could see, I knew I wanted to take this thing outside and give it a good blow out with my air compressor rather than getting my workspace dirty, but when I unscrewed and removed the RF shield, this is what I found:

No, it's not what you're thinking - unless you were thinking it was two lovely mud dauber nests.  Somehow the minerals in the mud weren't enough to interfere with the proper operation of the console!  These nests were so solid that a full blast from my air compressor barely knocked any of them off.  I had to carefully peck and blast at it for about 15 minutes to get most of it off.  Once it got down to the last little bit I had to turn the motherboard upside-down over a sink, and scrub it off with distilled water and a toothbrush.  Holding it upside-down helped minimize spreading mud around the board.

After getting all of the visible mud off with distilled water, I gave it a good scrub with 91% isopropyl, and then a shot of naptha.  I used q-tips to spot clean any remaining filth, then sprayed the whole board with Deoxit to clear away as much of the oxidation as possible.

The bottom half of the console had evidently been submerged in water at some point as the RF shield was covered in huge splotches of rust, and the rust had embedded itself into the plastic of the case.  I soaked the bottom half of the case, including the RF shield in CLR for about 30 minutes then gave both a good scrub with an SOS pad, and a final wipe down with naptha.

With everything cleaned, dried and reassembled, I removed the spring from the door mechanism so it would stay shut without being clasped, popped a disc in and validated that I hadn't damaged anything while cleaning it.  As before, the game loaded immediately.  I played for about 30 minutes to make sure there weren't any overheating issues.

Since it's not in my nature to leave well-enough alone, I opened it back up to perform a 240p video mod on it which also went over without a hitch.
Externally mounted DPDT (On-On) switch to select 240p/480i.  Internally, pin 52 of the video encoder has been lifted from the board.  The center pole of the switch is wired to pin 52, the top pin is wired to pin 55 (55 is connected to Vcc so this pulls pin 52 high), the bottom pin is wired to pin 52's landing on the motherboard.


I found a replacement part for the clasp:
https://kpcomponents.co/products/cd-player-door-latch

That link is not the exact one I bought - I actually found one on Ebay that arrived more quickly but since Ebay removes listings after a certain age, it seemed pointless to link to it.  These seem to be pretty standard, though.  I've found many different listings for them, but I've only found them in one size.  Just search Google Images for "cd player lid latch" and you'll see half a dozen of them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a consistent part number or model number.  I did, however, find two other CD players in my house that happened to use the exact same connector so these are all over the place.  If you can't find one for sale, you might have luck going to a garage sale, Goodwill or some other second hand store and picking up a cheap CD player to cannibalize for the part.

Once I popped the spring back in and inserted the new lid latch, the restoration was mostly complete.
New generic lid latch installed in the FZ-10.  Works and looks original.

The only thing still missing was the plastic lens piece that the "ready" and "access" LEDs shine through.  Unlike the lid clasp, I didn't find any remains of the piece inside the case.
The lenses that catch the light for the Ready and Access lights were missing when I bought it.

The LEDs are bright enough that edges of the holes still light up green and red.  But unlike the lid clasp, the LED lens piece is clearly purpose made for the FZ-10 so the only way to get another one would be to cannibalize another 3DO.  After thinking it over for a while I decided on a solution. There's a rectangular bracket-like structure on the underside of the case, so I cut a piece of packing foam (the soft squishy kind that some monitors and TVs ship in now - I think it's the same kind of stuff that pool noodles are made of) to fit snugly in the bracket, then I covered the top of it with silicone sealant.

Foam piece with silicone sealant pushed up through the holes


Next I gently pushed it up into the slot so the silicone barely started to squish through the top.  The surface tension resulted in the convex curve like the originals had.
Not bad for a first attempt.  If I had used crystal clear silicone it would probably have been a nearly perfect match.

I let the silicone cure, then carefully augured holes in the foam under the opening to let as much light as possible shine through.  The result was pretty decent for a first attempt.  There are two things that would have made it better.  First, I should have used a silicone that would cure crystal clear.  I just used whatever I had on hand which turned out to cure a little white and cloudy.  Second, I should have made sure the top surface of the silicone was perfectly smooth before pushing it up into the holes.  There were streaks in it which are visible up close.  Had I done those two things I think this would have been indistinguishable from the real thing from the outside.

The result is not a perfect match, but it "works" and it's a lot better than open holes IMO.


After all that, it feels more like I've rescued an abused and abandoned puppy rather than refurbished a piece of Ebay junk.  I'm still blown away by the fact that this console is still working.  These things seem to be built like tanks.

Now all that's left is to get that USB Host Controller.  I've placed my order, but these things are (apparently) hand made and there's only one guy doing it, so it may be a long wait.

7 comments:

Tamara Barrow said...

Greetings to everyone reading this testimony, I am Dan Morgan, i am here to
testify of a great man who was able to cure me permanently from herpes
Disease just with his herbal medicine,i have been herpes Positive for 5
years before i came across Dr voodoo Email on the internet on how he has
been using his herbal medicine to treat and cure patients from different
virus, so i contacted him and i explain to him concerning my problem, i
followed up with the instructions he gave me and he urge me to have faith
in his words that he was going to restore my health back, after some couple
of days Dr voodoo sent me some medicine which he gave me prescription on
how to take for 2 weeks, to make the long story short, I have been
confirmed Negative from my recent test in the hospital, just within 2 weeks
Dr voodoo was able to make me healthy and see reasons to live again, though
science says there is no cure, i believe God has sent this great man to
save people, you can all contact him for his medicine, he has presently
been treating diseases like,CANCER,BLOOD DISEASE,DIABETES,HIV,TYPHOID, and
many others, you can contact this man on voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com.or
add him on whatsApp +2348140120719, God
Bless you sir!

victoria wilson said...

HERPES INFECTION CURE IS 100% AVAILABLE WITH THE HELP OF DR OGBERAESE HERBAL MEDICINE.Joy and happiness is all i can see around ever since i came in contact with this great man Called Dr Ogberaese. i complained bitterly to him about me having herpes only for him to tell me it’s a minor stuff. He told me he has cured thousands of people but i did not believe until he sent me the herbal medicine and i took it as instructed by this great man, only to go to the hospital after two weeks for another test and i was confirmed negative. For the first time in four years i was getting that result. i want to use this medium to thank this great man. His name is Dr Ogberaese , i came in with his email through a friend in USA called Edith Rose and ever since then my live has been full with laughter and great peace of mind. i urge you all with herpes or HSV1&2 to contact him if you are willing to give him a chance. you can contact him through his email drogberaese54@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348073818653

Asore Corp said...

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?.DO YOUR DESIRE CREDIT REPAIR[EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION? WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.
asorehackcorp@gmail.com

Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.
That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.

⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.
if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.
Here, it's always a win for you.

🔸OUR SERVICES🔸
➡️Binary Option funds recovery
➡️Social media hack
➡️Recovery of loan scam
➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)
➡️E mail hack
➡️College score upgrade
➡️Android & iPhone Hack
➡️Website design
➡️Website hack
And lots more.

DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.

CONTACT INFO:
📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com
cyberprecinct@gmail.com

Copyright ©️
Asore Cyber Corp 2021.
All rights reserved.

Unknown said...

this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
+2348140120719

travel now said...

I will take a note of your site and continue checking for new data about once every week.You know, many persons are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.Keep sharing your thoughts. BUY FRENCH PASSPORT ONLINE ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our TELEGRAM GROUP

Nancy Morris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
smithteev said...

Herbs are very good in eliminating viruses / diseases which I think have no cure, I was able to get rid of HSV1 & 2 and HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE after using the herbal medicine I ordered from dr kokobi. y'all shouldn't be carried away by what the medical doctor told you. Herbal remedies have the best solution. contact him via his Email kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349055346858 below he has the cure to any illness/diseases